Nerge News 12.16.19
We are thankful for a great week of learning! We wrapped up MAP testing across the grade levels and will be finishing up any make-ups early this week. As we launch into our final week of 2019, be sure to take some time to connect with your child about the accomplishments already achieved this school year and the goals on his/her radar.
From our Nerge Flight Crew, we wish you the merriest of holidays and a happy new year. Enjoy all the moments and comforts that come with this season. We look forward to seeing you and your children again in 2020!
We hope your children will participate in our holiday spirit week!
Merry Monday Morning 12/16: Dress head to toe in your holiday gear. (Santa hat, reindeer antlers, winter hat, or any headgear and your favorite winter socks)
‘Twas the Night Tuesday 12/17: Cozy up for a comfortable day wearing your pajamas.
Winter Whiteout Wednesday 12/18: There is a blizzard at Nerge! Wear as much white as you can.
‘Tis the season Thursday 12/19: Wear your favorite holiday colors.
Festive Friday 12/20: It’s time to break out your best holiday gear/ugly sweater. (Give us your best holiday spirit)
Lost and Found
Please come and look at our Lost and Found. We have many gloves, mittens, scarves, jackets, snow pants and boots that want to go home. We will be donating all unclaimed items to District 54’s Community Closet on Friday, December 20th.
5 Essentials Survey
Once again we are reaching out to our families and asking you to participate in the annual Illinois 5Essentials Survey to provide us with your perspective and help guide our school improvement efforts. The parent survey will be available online through Feb. 14, 2020, at https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois. Currently 4% of our families have participated in the survey.
For more information, click here to read the letter from Superintendent Andy DuRoss.
From Mrs. Koch, School Nurse
A common dilemma that parents face is “when should I keep my child home from school?” It’s not easy as parents more and more today are juggling the responsibilities of family and work. Here are some guidelines to follow.
Know the difference between a cold and the flu:
- Flu is a serious illness and symptoms include fever, chills, cough, sore throat, headache, or muscle aches. With the flu, symptoms come on very quickly. It is advised to contact the doctor if these symptoms are present.
- Symptoms of a common cold include stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat, and hacking cough. Often, cold symptoms come on gradually., Although the common cold is usually not serious, if symptoms are severe, it is a good idea to keep your child home to rest, rather than spread the cold to other children at school.
Keep your child home from school if:
- He has a fever. This means a temperature 100 degrees or higher.
- She has vomited. Keep your child home until they are symptom free for 24 hours and able to tolerate solid foods
- He has diarrhea. Encourage good hand washing to prevent the spread to other family members. Keep your child home until they are symptom free for 24 hours and able to tolerate solid foods.
- She is coughing frequently or having any sort of breathing trouble.
- He has a rash that is spreading. Check with your child’s doctor to see if it is contagious before sending your child back to school.
District 54 Severe Weather Response Plan
Now that we are starting to see a change in our weather, please see the link for information about our District 54 Severe Weather Response plan. https://sd54.org/resources/district-54-cold-weather-response-plan/
Windy City Bulls District 54 Takeover Night – January 10, 2020
The Windy City Bulls will host a District 54 takeover night on Friday, January 10 at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, and a portion of the proceeds from each ticket purchased will be donated back to the District 54 Education Foundation.
The District 54 take-over night will feature District 54 students participating in performances and other on-court experiences before and throughout the game, and a District 54 Special Olympics basketball match at halftime.