Registration Reference – February, 2019
Instructional Device Agreement
These guidelines list the requirements that apply to all students who are issued an Instructional Device (i.e. Chromebook, iPad) by District 54. Parents/guardians and students must agree to both the Acceptable Use of the Instructional Device Guidelines and the Acceptable Use of the Internet Guidelines (Board Policy 6:235) before the Instructional Device will be issued to the student. Students and their parents/guardians are bound by the terms of the Acceptable Use of the Instructional Device Guidelines and the Acceptable Use of the Internet Guidelines when an Instructional Device is issued, whether the forms are signed or not.
Responsible Use Expectations
- The District 54 Acceptable Use of the Internet Guidelines applies to use of the Instructional Device.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for monitoring home Internet access.
- Parents/guardians agree to supervise their children’s Instructional Device use at home and agree to discuss Internet safety with their children.
- Once issued, students are responsible for maintaining the Instructional Device and all peripheral devices issued with it, including the case, charger cord, etc.
- Students and parents/guardians are prohibited from installing, or attempting to install, any programs or files without the approval of District 54 personnel. All software/applications must be installed by District 54 personnel.
- Students are prohibited from attempting to bypass the District 54 Internet filters.
- The student will keep his/her passwords private and not disclose them to others, except for District 54 personnel and parents/guardians. Students are prohibited from using another student’s username/password to log in to a device.
- The student will not lend the Instructional Device to anyone, including members of the student’s family, for any reason.
- Cyberbullying will not be tolerated. Cyberbullying is bullying by use of any electronic device.
- Messages and/or Internet content relating to or in support of illegal activities will subject the student to discipline. This conduct may also be reported to the authorities if appropriate.
- Students are expected to immediately notify adults of any messages or other information viewed or accessed through the Instructional Device that is inappropriate, dangerous or threatening.
- Students may not download, copy or share copyrighted material using the Instructional Device, including music files, images or software.
- Student Instructional Devices should arrive at school fully charged each school day.
- District 54 reserves the right to take back possession of an Instructional Device from a student on a case-by-case basis.
- Students will not be allowed to bring their Instructional Device into locker rooms.
- Instructional Devices must be locked in the hallway lockers during PE classes and after-school sports.
- Students who graduate early, withdraw or terminate enrollment at school for any reason must return the Instructional Device, charger, case and all District 54-provided peripherals that were issued to them.
- Students have no expectation of privacy relating to the Instructional Device that is issued to them. The Instructional Devices are District 54 property and may be confiscated and inspected by District 54 staff at any time.
Registration Reference – February, 2019
- Reasons for Instructional Device inspections may include, but are not limited to, the following: functionality, maintenance, service, suspected violations of the Acceptable Use of the Instructional Device Guidelines, and suspected violations of the Acceptable Use of the Internet Guidelines.
- Any of the student’s email accounts accessed by the student with the Instructional Device, including the webmail account created for school-related uses, can be monitored by District 54.
- The Instructional Device may contain tracking and monitoring software that may from time to time provide District 54 with information concerning the student’s use of the Instructional Device and the student’s activities on the Internet with the Instructional Device.
- The student and the parents/guardians understand that District 54’s issuance of the Instructional Device does not create any duty on the part of the district to provide supervision or protection outside of school.
- If a device malfunctions or is in need of repair, students will immediately notify District 54 staff.
- Students and or parents/guardians will not attempt to repair the device but will return the device to school for repair. Similarly, in the event an Instructional Device is stolen or missing, the student must inform school personnel immediately. A police report must be filed before a replacement Instructional Device is issued.
- Students and parents/guardians are responsible for any damage or theft that occurs to the device and peripherals. District 54 reserves the right to charge the student and parent/guardian the full cost of repair or replacement of the device and peripherals.
- All reports of vandalism or misuse of the device will be investigated on a case-by-case basis.
- Students will not deface the Instructional Device or its accessories in any way. This includes, but is not limited to, attaching stickers, marking painting, drawing or marring any surface of the Instructional Device.
- The identification tag/label on the device and peripherals must remain intact at all times.
- Optional loss/destruction insurance can be purchased when the student receives the Instructional Device.
- The student understands that the use of the Instructional Device is a privilege, not a right, and is for educational purposes only.
- Students understand that obscene language and/or materials, including music, screen savers, backdrops or pictures are prohibited.
- District 54 may revoke the student’s use of the Instructional Device at any time it deems appropriate.
- Violation of these guidelines or other District 54 policies and procedures may result in disciplinary action, whether the violation occurs on or off school grounds.
- Students have no expectation of privacy in the contents of the Instructional Device or communications made using the Instructional Device.
☐ I have read, understand and accept the District’s Instructional Device Agreement.
☐ I have read, understand and DO NOT accept the District’s Instructional Device Agreement.
Parent/Guardian Printed Name Parent/Guardian Signature Date