The Mission of Frederick Nerge Math and Science Academy is to provide a challenging and inspirational educational experience where students recognize that knowledge is both intrinsically valuable and a means to effect positive change in the greater community. We strive to equip our students with the tools they will need to be competitive in the global marketplace, and to demonstrate integrity, leadership and perseverance along their journeys toward maximizing their potential.
Our Vision is a description of what our students will experience as a result of being a part of our school community. A visitor to Nerge would expect to see the following:
- Students empowered to sustain a welcoming, community atmosphere that celebrates diversity in all of its forms; nurturing a culture of positive relationships by honoring acts of kindness and applying strategies for conflict resolution and active self-monitoring of behavior
- An engaging learning environment characterized by high levels of interaction between all members of the school community; teachers providing the framework for academic discussions that afford learners the opportunity to collaboratively solve problems, articulate thoughts and opinions, and learn from classmates
- An enriching curriculum that develops higher order thinking skills through a variety of effective teaching strategies, including inquiry-based learning, investigations and research, hands-on activities, cooperative learning, and intense analysis of textual resources
- An enriching Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) experience that develops an experimental mindset in students by presenting trial and error as a means to greater understanding, and celebration of divergent thinking and innovative solutions
- A highly collaborative staff that actively shares ideas, discusses strategies and techniques, and constantly reflects upon professional practice and data to refine instruction in order to best meet the academic, social, and emotional needs of all students
In order to fulfill our Vision, the staff of Frederick Nerge enthusiastically commits to the following:
- Actively engage parents, guardians, and community members in order to provide the greatest level of support for our students
- Respect the ideas and contributions of all members of the learning community for the purpose of finding solutions that are in the best interest of the children
- Nurture meaningful relationships with students so that they understand that they are highly valued members of the Nerge family
- Embrace change and view challenges as opportunities for growth and learning
- Continuously pursue professional development opportunities to increase our knowledge of quality instructional practices
We believe that the pursuit and fulfillment of the Mission, Vision, and Commitments will result in the academic growth and social/emotional development of our students. While fulfillment of our Mission, Vision, and Commitments statements is a noble pursuit in and of itself, goal setting and accountability are important features of any effective organization. The Board of School District 54 has articulated three important goals relating to student achievement, and we at Nerge will continue to focus on these goals at the building level. We are confident that creating the positive and productive learning environment described by this document will increase our students’ measurable academic achievement, thereby more effectively preparing them for college and career readiness.
The District 54 and Frederick Nerge goals are:
- Students who have attended District 54 schools for at least one year will be at grade level in reading and math upon entering third grade as measured by Measures of Academic Progress (MAP).
- Each school will close the achievement gap for all students in reading and math as measured by both district and state assessments.
- Each school will perform at or above the 90th percentile (top 10% nationally) in meeting individual student growth targets in reading and math as measured by Measures of Academic Progress (MAP).